GPs / Doctors
It is important for you to register with a GP so you can access health services if you need them. Your local GP surgery provides a wide range of family health services, including:
- advice on health problems*
- examinations and treatment
- prescriptions for medicines, and
- referrals to other health services and social services.
* You should call your GP surgery when you have an illness that won’t go away. Your GP or practice nurse can advise on things like:
- Serious infections
- A ‘flare up’ of a long standing illness e.g. kidney or lung disease, bronchitis, asthma or diabetes
- Persistent joint and back pain.
If you are ill or injured and unsure which service to use visit www.asapglos.nhs.uk or download the ASAP Glos NHS mobile app from the app store.
If you need urgent medical care when your surgery is closed (and it can’t wait until the morning) call NHS 111 and they will make sure you receive the care you need.
Plan ahead and please don’t use the Out of Hours Service to request repeat prescriptions.
If you are not registered with a GP, you are visiting the county and are registered elsewhere, or it is not convenient for you to access your own GP surgery, Gloucestershire’s Health Access Centres can help you.